Wednesday 26 May 2010

Valley of Fire State Park




Heading east out of Las Vegas, the Valley of Fire is a little stones throw to the north east. Having an unhealthy interest in fire, we weren't going to let this one slip by!










What do you reckon, sunrise or sunset?














Did y'all know that before the first European settlers came to these shores, there was somebody already living here? If you look closely you can see drawings on the rocks made by the natives (if you were in Ford Estate the wall painting would say 'Sharon is a slag'!) The symbols are called petroglyphs and nobody is quite sure what they mean, but they do feature quite a lot of hunting scenes - it would seem even back then, filling your kite was something to celebrate.


Not quite Everest but still a canny little climb!










You don't want a science lesson I know - BUT .. These rocks are made from an ancient sea bed that existed millions of years ago, then, tectonic plates clashed and drove ancient rock through to the surface just so people on holiday can climb all over them and take pictures.



So here are the different rock formations, the red sand stone in the foreground and the so called 'muddy mountains' in the background.





How about this for a unique campsite? The RV's are a little more exposed, but if you're just camping, you get to camp right into the rocks themselves. They give great protection from the wind, which is quite strong around here - or at least it was while we were there (and I'm not talking about wind generated in the tent by Elvis!)


A few more pics from a day out amongst the rocks.








Ooooh Natural Arch!






I'm not going to ask you to name this little chap! You could easy guess by looking at the headgear! It's the Big Horn sheep - once the staple diet of the natives, but now allowed to graze without fear of being spit-roasted!






Notice the different colour strands in the rock - gorgeous. But if you want some free tea then tell us why sandstone is red?

This is one of the reasons why we like to drive through America so much - where else do you get scenery like this? (That is not a COT question!)

For a cup of tea - name the make of our car and where it was built - not as difficult as you may think (ps I wouldn't bother googling)!!

Cups of tea shenanigans - Rusty was spot on with the fig 'rerles', interestingly, I haven't found any custard nanas here, perhaps they're called custard einsteins in the states.
Une Big - yes I had a meat pudding in mind. Like our Poll says though, it was unfair on Ginny cos she didn't touch the offal. As for Wee Willy McGreggor the 'number of madgets in a tent' our Poll was kind of right with that - I mean I wouldn't allow them within 50 yards of me tent, never mind in it. Outsourcer, have you noticed the questions are becoming less of a 'googling' exercise?

13 comments:

Rusty The First said...

To be honest, I just wanted to be the first to reply, seeing as though the Americans seem to have the monopoly on it!

Sandstone is probably red due to Iron Oxide, but I've seen it different colours, so we'll have to see if it counts for a cup of tea.

Auntie's turn away at this point. Keith, I assume you didn't think you'd get away with using 'Big Horn' and 'Spit-Roasted' in the same sentence without someone making a comment.

Where the car was built: Nevada
Make: I had to ask me Nana and she said 'a Silver one'.

Anonymous said...

that car looks like a nissan versa to me.. schmenny x x

The gang at 25 said...

is schmenny the outsorcer in disguise or just a CS?

car : nissan
Mad : Weshington

is the rock red cos u were using rose tinted lens that day?

and about the cup of tea question the other day concerning the bears, bomber has set a reply cup of tea question ...

if that bear came within 10 yards of your tent what steps would you take ??

bon jower

the gang at 25 said...

by the way if junior is logging on clock grandar's comments about the dear on the 24th of may

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think that none of you want me to play the cuppa tea game anymore.Bon jower is speaking in a foreign language, you are making the questions ungoogleable and even Schmenny is even poking fun by answering the questions like I would,well done I must admit.I am guessing that your photo is of a sunrise,this is something Sissy J would know nothing about because she doesn't roll herself out of bed until at least 9:00am.Paula for the record my answer was not Goggled so it counts as an official guess.The Outsourcer.

poutin sissy said...

The competitive side of me is putting aside my comments to all these blog comments because I have to take issue with Rusty getting the cup of tea for answering fig rerls. If you look farther back in the comments section on the day Rusty came up with his answer, my answer of fig rolls was already in place. Or are you going to say it had to be rerls?

Not playing anymore till this is cleared up.

in a one said...

Oh and I got no acknowledgement for "burro" either.

as if I care said...

Just for the record (but who's keeping score?)....my response of fig rolls on May 24 at 23:10. Rusty's on May 25 at 12:42.
I'm going to be up all night suffering the injustice of all this! Rusty the First my burro!

Anonymous said...

I would like to answer the question from Bon Jower What steps would you take if a bear came within 10 yards of their tent? I googled this and the CORRECT answer is Bloody Big Ones!
I too am wanting to know what the official tally of the cuppa teas might be for each of us who have been taking time to answer your questions.Could you put that in USA English, I'm having a tough time catching on to this new language that everyone else seems to know.The Outsourcer

sissy J said...

Now, I know that I said I wasn't going to participate in this cuppa tea malarkey, but this is truly hot off the press. I just read in today's newspaper that the Natural Arch that Keith captured in this latest blog has collapsed. It has been a tourist magnet for decades - all it takes is a lad from Pennywell to visit. They say it was possible that someone had climbed it and stood on the arch, and it was just too weak to bear the weight. The article also says that investigators see some similarities between this and Marsden Rock and are trying to determine a common denominator. Perhaps an over-zealous photographer. Hmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I too saw the news about the famous arch.My advise to you brother Keith is to lay off those big ole breakfast buffets.At least when we Americans eat at them, we know enough not to go climbing on fragile nature things such as these.You are just lucky that you are innocent until proven guilty in the USA.I can't even google what the punishment might be for destroying a natural icon such as this.The Outsourcer.

PJ said...

Rusty, appreciate your efforts but, despite being first, the Americans still have the monopoly on the blog. Have you seen how many entries the two of them racked up between them?!! You two need to get out for more walks!
For God's sake Keith, acknowledge yer sister's timely responses will ya?

I like Schmenny's answer. Definitely been taking lessons from the Outsourcer.

And...."USA English"?....outrageous!!!!!

By the way I'll guess at sunset cos I dinnit knar what a sunrise looks like

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's good to see PJ all fired up:)Brother Keith how did you enjoy one of the American holidays, Memorial Day?You should write about how the western USA does things on that day.We easterners have parades and far too much picnic foods.This how we officially kick off our summer.The Outsourcer.