Thursday 24 February 2011

Hammy hamsters adventures by the river bank

After a 5 hour bus trip from Bangkok, here we are getting on the ferry to say goodbye to the main land and hello Koh Chang - also known as the 'Elephant Island' (good try Rusty trying to steal Ginny's thunder, but I think you'll find in the Oxford concise that 'heffalump' translates nicely to Elephant).







Our first few days we spent literally on the river - and I mean on it - suspended on posts from the river bed. The accomodation is a converted fishing house, the place is called Baan Rim Naan (don't worry - no cup of tea questions cos I don't know what it means either!). It's in a cracking spot though on a beautiful river and only 2 minutes from the beach. It's also owned and ran by an Englishman so it was nice to have someone who can give help you get your feet. This picture is looking down river from a favourite little coffee and massage joint.


Whilst on a little kayaking foray down the river one spotted the wildest of pigs. This little porker made off rather quickly when it spotted me because it probably knows as well as anyone that pork is well and truly on the Thai menu!!









A little furher down the river and now getting into thick mangroves. And now comes your chance for yet another cup of tea voucher*
Magroves are a bit of a natural phenomenon, they thrive in fresh and salt water environment. However, if you look closely at any mangrove tree, each branch has at least one very sickly looking yellow leaf on it. When that leaf drops off, another leaf turns yellow and eventually drops off. For your cup of tea voucher*, please explain what the bloomin heck that is all about please and thankyou.



At the other end of the river is the beautiful sea in the gulf of Thailand. Here are a couple of sunsets to ooh and arghh over!!













Ps - not a Thai person - Thai people are thin!!











Thailand's fine, the sun shines most the time, and the feeling is laid back.
Palm trees grow the room rents are low and you know I keep thinking of making my way back.
But I'm Pennywell born and raised,
But nowadays I'm lost between two shores

For a cup of tea voucher* can you finish my famous lyrics please and thankyou.







More adventures down the river, this time on a kayak double-yucker (that'll be Elvis at the front).











When you're all kayak'ed out, you can always park the arse on the beach and try and work out what you're going to feed your face on tonight!











This is the riverbank and the local taxi service. If you want to eat at a restaurant on the river, get the landlord to give them a ring and they send over a little boat to pick you up. They take you back afterwards but the poor Thai lad seemed to be huffing and puffing on the way back, probably because the greedy Westerners have about six dishes and fourteen s of beer in their kites!! It's a wonder the boats doesn't sink!!





When you live on a river, this may look like the western equivelant of the 'naughty step'. Eg. 'Kai, get in the naughty boat until you learn some maners'. But that's not what is happening here, any ideas what this young chap is up to - if so, write it down, you never know you could win a cup of tea voucher*








Another little kayak trip up the river. In the next blog there'll be elephants and elephant stories - stories so horrific it would make your milk turn and leave you without a cup of tea. Don't miss the next episode for tales of Germans, Elephants, blood and gore!!







COT millarkey - Rusty, you're a bloody Jonna - since you mentioned my world travelled shorts there's been a disaster (and I don't mean I've shat them!!) I sent them to the Thai laundry and they came back 'dissolved'. Milly - yes you're right, you knew I'd end up carrying the toiletries. Ginny - you won the COT voucher* for the heffalumps - don't worry Sis I won't let that Rust in with his preciseness. Jenny, you wouldn't? Not on the Chez - even I'm not allowed on that!

*Due to the world financial crisis, a cup of tea can only be claimed when the person answering the COT question is in possesion of six vouchers. Six vouchers can be used to claim a single cup (not mug) of tea (milk and sugar are not included). If you don't like it , blame the effing world bankers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

do do do do ,ar yes i,am l said neil diamond. all looks great on the blog.l,am so excited at being first and with the right answer,l think l,ll run round the house with my jersey over my head .xx milly

Anonymous said...

Artist: Neil Diamond
Album: Greatest Hits 1966-92
Title: I Am ... I Said

La's fine, sunshine most of the time
The feeling is laid back
Palm trees grow and the rents are low
But you know i keep thinking about
Making my way back

Well, i'm new york city born and raised
But nowadays, i'm lost between two shores
La's fine, but it ain't home
New york's home but it ain't mine no more

I am, i said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
I am, i cried
I am, i said
And i am lost, and i can't even say why
Leavin' me lonely still

Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king
And then became one
Well, except for the names and a few other changes
If you talk about me, the story's the same one

But i got an emptiness deep inside
And i've tried but it won't let me go
And i'm not a man who likes to swea
But i've never cared for the sound of being alone

I am, i said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
I am, i cried
I am, i said
And i am lost, and i can't even say why
Leavin' me lonely still

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Sun Set photo - pity that Fat Bloke SPOILT IT !!!!!!!!!!!
FIL

Sissy Shakespeare said...

Well, I'm a Mackem, born and raised
But the warm Thai ocean always calls
Sun'lun's fine, but it ain't warm
A North Sea dip leaves you without yer "Enry alls"

I am, I said
But nee one's there
and nee one gives a sod
Not even Tony Blair
(well c'mon.... at least Tony could hear! I mean....a chair??)

I am, I spy
I spy with my little eye
And I am stuck cause I can't think
Of anything else to rhyme
Leaving me with a cup of tea ...
......

......

...... voucher!

Doll said...

The lad's face in the tub looks just like our Ron's biscuit when I'd shove him in the bath after a night of burning the Blackie. Only problem was, he'd be the last of 6 to use the water, so he actually came out with more muck on him than when he went in!

Bomber said...

I think the answer to the mangrove question has summit to dee with...whaddya call it....summit beginning with s. Whorrisit young'n? Summit beginning with S, I think.