Saturday 7 June 2008

Fort Cochin & More Cooking!!

Spot the fake turban wearer amongst these two jokers, I know who has the real turban but you must admit the moustache looks a bit 'clagged on'!!















Fort Cochin was a stop on the way to the train station for the next trip to Goa - but it turned out to be much more than just a stop - it was a fantastic little place.


No cups of tea for guessing what's in this tea pot folks! It's the same colour as tea (well the same colour as my brothers tea - maidens 'watter') but has an entirely different effect all together! They're not really allowed to sell alcohol here, so they pretend that they giving you tea and you drink your beer from a tea pot and china mug! Just remember not to add milk and sugar - yak!





A late scone at the tea party could be won for the first person to tell me what in tarnation is this contraption?






This is real tea!! This is a place called 'the Tea Pot' and much tea and cake was consumed! You can see Elvis' humongous slab of chocolate cake in the foreground! Five seconds later it was gone!

This is our little driver boy Ramesh - young enough to be my son! He called us 'movie stars' because the Indian people were always taking pictures of us!




This was one of the most wonderful things we saw that day - for once I wished I had a video camera. This little boy had obviously been told to wait for his cousin to come along and take him to school - he must have been told not to move from that spot. Look at the concern on his face! We were sitting in the 'Tea Pot' watching. All of a sudden his little face lit up and he was just about to run ... then stopped ... remembering he can't move, so he jumped up and down on the spot smiling his little face off. The older boy came along, put his hand out - this little fella grabbed his hand , never looked away from his face and skipped off down the lane to school - pure magic!!
Residents and visitors to England will all be delighted to know that that is me at yet another cookery class! This time making the delights of the Southern Indian cuisine! This is me with the expert chef - Leena (not Leena Lorna Turner!)



Some would say that Elvis has the best deal here. I slave over the cooker for two hours then Madam shows up for her dinner, sits down and gets served by the chef and I. This time I made a fantastic dish called Marsala Dosa and a vegetable curry. Prepare yourselves back home for some Indian delights!!
Scone's 'R' Us: Outsourcer takes the lot again and never mind trying to make teams, we think your team of Outsourcer and Google are already doing pretty well. Mumbai is the new name for Bombay. The dish of the City is Bombay Duck and the main ingredient, despite the name, is dried fish. Our Paula - Lancashire hotpot is good - but it's not right. Say what you see though!
It's not over yet folks - look out for another blog in the near future!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

A cup of tea to fellow bloggers for whomever can speak of a time that Suzanne WASN'T served up after someone else had done the cooking!!! (absolutely couldn't resist that one!)

Anonymous said...

Also, aren't you taking this tea thing a bit too far.....putting a tea cozy on yer heed??

As for the contraption, either a couple of tent frames have taken off and blarn into the watter, or they are flying fish nets. Givvis the scone now or there'll be nee imported jam on the day of reckoning!

PS Where's Anonymous who likes to pipe in with nowt but "I'm first"?

Anonymous said...

The huge, elegant Chinese Fishing nets that line the northern shore of Fort Cochin add grace to an already characterful waterside view, and are probably the single most familiar photographic image of Kerala. Traders from the court of Kublai Khan are said to have introduced them to the Malabar region. Known in Malayalam as cheenavala, they can also be seen throughout the backwaters further south. The nets, which are suspended from arced poles and operated by levers and weights, require at least four men to control. You can buy fresh fish from the tiny market here and have it grilled on the spot at one of the ramshackle stalls.

Anonymous said...

Paul, attribute the last entry to my A level in Chinese Fishing. Never forget how intriguing that course was. Mrs. Chen, my old Chinese Fishing teacher, should be well proud of me!

Anonymous said...

Outsource here taking a crack at what those contraptions are , they are Chinese fishing nets.Wish I could stow away in sissy j's carry on bag and claim all the cups of tea that are coming to me!! Maybe you could just send back with her my tally in tea bags and I'll make my own cups here in the states.What fun you all are going to have!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Outsourcer was typing the answer at the same time as I was...but unlike her, I got an A in A level typing and beat her to it!

Anonymous said...

No comment yet - just had to break up the monopoly that Sissy J has created.

Anonymous said...

You mustn't have heard, Paul? I was able to penetrate the chief turban-earer's HQ and found out that a special prize will be awarded on the day of reckoning to the blog follower who makes the most entries in a single day.

I also heard that it's a BYOF day cause we've been asked to furnish the jam. What are you bringing?

Anonymous said...

Watch this space cos he'll end up providing nowt but the hot water for the tea. And we'll have to put 50p in the metre to boil it!
Paula

Anonymous said...

Are the sisters teaming up on me here? I actually had to google BYOF and first found out it stood for 'Bournemouth Youth Opportunities Fund' but I persisted and found 'Bring your own Film', and then 'Bring your own food'. And then I got the joke.

I'll bring my wife if that's ok. I've won a couple of scones and a couple of cups of tea, so I won't need food. The next best thing is the people to drink it.

Don't expect any new Blog updates for a while. K&S have been to the farthest places of the earth, to places that civilisation didn't know existed, and every one of them had a faster internet connection them tight arse Hodgeys have at home!

P.S. Jen - what's a Turban-earer?

Anonymous said...

Didge says...as i've never won diddly squat is there any chance of a cup of tea and a scone when you come home..i'll bring my own cup.been a pleasure following you round the globe

Anonymous said...

Paul I wasn't on about you daft arse....I was referring to the host of the party and this BYOF malarchy.
Remember to bring your 50p pieces for the metre to boil the water for your 'free' cups of tea!!!
Paula