Saturday 7 June 2008

Goa

Today is the 7th of June - tomorrow we fly home - so this is it - or is it? We did think of doing a blog of 'getting off the plane at home' so we'll see. This is certainly the last blog from foreign shores. Today we arrived in Bombay on the overnight train - it's pittling down right now as the monsoon season starts to take a grip. As my Sissy Gin often says, it's much easier to leave when the weather isn't good! So have we been sight seeing in the rain - not a chance! We've been to Bombay's biggest mall, watched the Indiana Jones film and ate western cack all day (we don't want dodgy stomachs on the plane now do we?)
So here are the last images of India and of course our trip around the world. As you'll see we went out in real style! You remember we mentioned sometime back that in India they still make the old English classical motor cycle: 'The Royal Enfield' - well we hired one for the day and had a trip around old Goa. For the motor bike connoisseurs among you, this is a Royal Enfield 350 Bullet (and it wasn't Rusty in case anyone was wondering!).


Here I am on the old girl(the Motorbike - not Elvis!!) getting her 'warmed up' for a blaze through the old town - more of that later!











This is where we chose to stay after coming off the train, a place called Colva. A nice little beach with plenty going on and around to keep us amused for a couple of days. The waves were MASSIVE but, the rip currents are really bad this time of year, so alas, Hodgies body surfing school remained closed for business.





Here's a couple of pictures of the beach and beautiful sky!









The guys from the restaurant we were staying near loved cricket - so during the quiet times they'd get the gear out and have a game, I joined in. This is me mercilessly smashing their fast bowler for a six (Elvis did well with the picture because you can actually see the ball on its way!)




This is an old building in old Goa 'not half'. The ruins of the church of St Augustine.

It went to ruin when the Portuguese wouldn't allow people to use it, then one day half of it 'fell off'.

These pictures are from Panjim, the capital of Goa. It was run by the Portuguese for a number of years, that's why it has that Mediterranean feel about it.


This is us stopping in a Portuguese style hotel for a little light refreshment. No beers though - there was a big bike to drive back to Colva - what a chore!!



















For anyone who is going to be turning up at our tea party without a free scone win under their belts and would be therefore forced to sit and watch everyone else quaffing away, here is your last chance: Riddle me this:-


If you want your tea for free, you must answer me these questions three:

1. What is your name
2. What is your favourite colour
3. What is the average wing speed of an unladen swallow

Last scone question - Ginnon Ginny with a dose of CS'ness that even out does CS Sandersfield. A free scone with your own jam for you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be specific...would that be an African swallow or European? I need to know cause I'm not bringing jam unless I'm the ultimate winner.

Have to comment on the cricket photo...do corkis float? Cause that one looks like it's getting launched right out to sea! Do you remember our Ron used to do that if he was losing just to spoil the game? Now, I'm not suggesting....

I've been thinking of you all day on the flight home. What must that be like for you after all this time? How weird it will be when you wake up right back in your own bed? Now you have a better idea of how Doctor Who felt all those times! I hope someone thinks to take a photo as you emerge from the airoort doors.

Be in contact with us as soon as you can, won't you?

luv Sissy J

Anonymous said...

1. Paul
2. Red

And just to ensure everyone gets their tea for free:

3. European Swallow = 24 mph but I didn't work it out myself even though I studied Ornithology to Degree level. Can you believe someone has prepared the complete and very scientifically calculated answer for us? at http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

Unbelievable.

This is the last comment from us before meeting the two travellers at the Airport with Mam and Dad Elves.

For a free cup of tea, can you tell me who is the most excited about meeting them at the airport?

Jen - cricket photo - have you considered that this could be one of Keith's elaborate hoaxes again? He may simply have chucked the corkie in the air and batted it out to sea, claiming he was showing the locals how to gan on.

Anonymous said...

Nearly 10 minutes have passed and no answer from Jen. My tea question must be too hard for her.

So, here's a clue - it isn't Shirley.

Leaving now for the Airport - and taking a camera!

Anonymous said...

I am the Outsourcer,my favourite colour is orange and the average wing speed of an unladen swallow is 11 meters per second or 24 miles per hour.Just give my free cup of tea to sissy j.I have had so much fun with this blog thing thank you for taking me along with you on your trip around the world couldn't beat the price ...free!!!Darn typing skills I see Paul has beaten me as I typed! For the next blog I will be taking a typing class!!!

Anonymous said...

Paul and Outsourcer....As Monty Python would say in a high pitch squeaky voice, "How do you know so much about swallows?" In the age of Google, sort of a redundant question.

Sorry it's been so long since I logged on, and missed all the questions directed right at me. So bloomin hot here (check out hot as hades.com if you don't believe me!) so I found good friends with a pool and have been up to my neck in it for a few hours.

I just can't wait to see the photos from the airport...soon I hope, but take care of frivolities first.

Hard to believe that the blog has almost come to an end. It's been a good thing, and the only thing I feel bad about is that the Outsourcer can't be present at the day of reckoning. She is a trivia freak and has enjoyed this more than any of us. And it's been pretty hysterical watching her struggle with the Mackem accent and that other accent that the other brother boasts!! She honestly thought he was from a different country!!

So, I really will wait till I see photos from Newcastle before I write more.

toodle ooh from Sissy J

PS Paul, I really couldn't guess which of the four of you is more excited. There can't be a cup of tea winner for that.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh can I take one more crack at guessing a question? I guess Mam Elves is most excited to see the travelers back!!This is probably my last comment so thanks again to K&S and also to all you fellow bloggers for the fun and raise a glass of something for me when you all get together, The Outsourcer.

Anonymous said...

The Outsourcer knows us too well! Mam Elves was the clear winner in the excitement field! Closely followed, Shirley tells me, by her Bump which was doing cartwheels.

We took a few pictures and the first one of K&S walking through the Arrival gate shows a blurred figure running at them with arms outstretched; yep, Mam Elves!

Anonymous said...

Only got a minute...got to go and put in my last day of school with the lovely cherubs. Yes, I did say LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!
Very glad to hear that the travellers are safe and sound and looking forward to hearing from them and seeing the photos.
I'll give you a few hours, but I'll be dashing home to see them on my desktop. Nee pressure lank!

Anonymous said...

Bloomin Heck I've missed a chance at Paul's quiz.
I was going for Bomba cos he always gets himself excited at reunions but it looks like he's been pipped at the post by Suzanne's mam.
Just thought Outsourcer, I was almost seeing you this year. Never mind, I'll see you next year hopefully. You deserve a bloody boat load of tea for even trying to understand Une Big One's writing!
Paula