Friday 27 July 2007

Suz & Keef in Capitol Reef








We picked Capitol Reef because it split the journey between Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park - however, it turned out to be a canny little spot. Capitol Reef is less crowded than the other parks and contains much of the 100-mile Waterfold Pocket created 65 million years ago when the earth's surface buckled up and folded! This means there's a git big cross section of colourful rocks like purple, russet, grey, pink. Again some lovely scenery and a bonus, orchards for fruit picking in the summer. Elvis was in her element and zoomed off once told the plums were in season!
There's also a few examples of when it was a village with the old blacksmiths, an old school and the old Gifford Homestead (a little house set up like what you'd find in Beamish). This went down well as there was free samples of bread and homemade jam and we bought some homemade ice cream.
We only had one night there so we didn't have time to do much, the first two pictures are on top of one of the hikes, the next picture I put Elvis to work in the field to earn us some extra shekels for the holiday fund, then I made her wash my smalls using some state of the art gadgets - a woman's work is never done. The last picture is me next to my next car - there's room for Elvis and I but I don't know where the tent is going to fit - I wonder if they do and SUV version......

As I said - only one night in Capitol Reef although we could have spent more time there - however, Arches and Moab were next and I've heard a lot of good things about them. Next Blog from Arches then.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not robbing any banks l hope clyde.anyhow wheres bonny.x m

Anonymous said...

Hodgie - you must be the only man I know who can go hiking in flip flops!!!!
Parkybird x