Tuesday 27 November 2007

Nature Blog - New Zealand

I thought I would put some pictures of the various birds and animals we saw while we were in New Zealand, unfortunately, I've sent some pictures home before 'blogging' them so this is just a small selection

I don't know the names of all of them - but here goes!
Pic 1 Chicken!!
Pic 2 A black swan - this one was getting a little angry because I was getting too close to the cygnets
Pic 3 A duck with the ducklings all following along
Pic 4 a type of sea gull
Pic 5 I don't think this is a real animal - I mean what does it look like? Anyone who was at our wedding will remember Paul Beaney and Paul Sandersfield doing a dance dressed as a Cow - I'm sure this is them two up to their old tricks
Pic 6 Don't know what kind of bull/cow - I just loved its hair style!
Pic 7 & 8 is our favourite - the Pukeko, native to NZ - beautiful colours
Pic 9 is a Grey Shag
Pic 10 is an Oyster Catcher
Pic 11 is a blue heron I think
Pic 12 a seal warming in the sun
Pic 13 A NZ Pigeon - much bigger than the English one
Pic 14 Could be an Australasian Eagle - but not sure
Pic 15 Not sure - a sea gull of sorts!
Pic 16 is a Chaffinch
Pic 17 & 18 is a mountain parrot (I think)
Pic 19 Spot the real Pukeko!
Pic 20 a lamb caught in the sunset
Pic 21 A male paradise duck with his ducklings - as usual the male of the species gets all the hard work to do
Pic 22 is a native of England - the Goldfinch, also found here in NZ
Pic 23 Black swans with the cygnets
Pic 24 and 25 is the 'White Eye'
Pic 26 The Yellow Hammer
Pic 27 is the New Zealand Falcon on the prowl
Pic 28 is a 'Tui' - native to NZ - notice the two white things on its throat - I think it uses these to make its unique song - it sounds like it's singing and doing the harmonies at the same time!
Pic 29 is a nesting grey shag - we call them cormorants.

















































































































































































































































































































































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying following your big adventure, jealous or what. Keep on blogging.

Happy Christmas and an adventurous and happy new year to you.

Erazzs and the family