Saturday 17 November 2007

Tropical North Queensland - Cape Tribulation/Atherton Tableland/ Mission Beach

Heading North from Cairns you enter a truly amazing place. Cape Tribulation (as named by Captain Cook - named this because he reckoned it all went pair shaped after his visit here). Part of the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area, we travelled through some amazing ancient rainforest, sandy beaches and rugged mountains. One of the few places in the world where tropical rainforest meets the sea! One of my friends calls me Tarzan (due to my long arms) so I put a couple of pictures in of me swinging through the jungle - ending up in the crocodile infested river - I then killed a croc with my bare hands and barb'ied it for tea for me and Jane (Elvis) - well some of this is true!



These are a couple of the beaches we saw around the way - beautiful to look at but at this bay (Cow Bay) a person had been attacked by a croc the week before. So you can look - but you can't swim! The next pic is a termite hill!

These pictures are the Atherton Tableland - beautiful scenery with lakes, wetlands, waterfalls and more forest



This is Mission Beach where we stayed a few lazy days - absolutely fantastic

Me cooking at the hostel - great hostel!

This is us on the 'River Rat' cruise, going croc spotting - and by God we found them. Suzanne was spotting when the 3 metre croc swam right to the boat. Let me tell you there's something unnerving about an animal that big looking at you as dinner!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MYYY hes a big bugger, starter an main course thats the both of you. j x

Anonymous said...

You're surely not bursting my bubble and telling us all that you really didn't swing into a croc infested river and wrestle it with your bare hands? Next, you'll be telling us that you really didn't bungee jump, white water raft or ski down 4000 foot vertical drops! My illusions are shattered now!

Anonymous said...

perhaps crocs don't have a sweet tooth, cuz judging by the amount of cakes you you've ingested, he wouldn't be interested in having you for tea!