Saturday 26 January 2008

On the road again

'On the road again' a great little song by Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash and very fitting to our next leg of the trip. Back in a camper van for 9 days heading south from Perth to what's known as 'the Southern Curl' - it turned out to be the best trip we've had so far in Australia!

I know the place names won't mean much - but for the record this is our first stop, Bunbury - this is exactly where we camped - right next to the beach. Let me paint the picture.... pull up to somewhere you like, walk into your back garden (the beach) have a little rest on the sand, go for a swim. Pop back to the van, cook a little tea with a couple of beers and a glass of wine looking out your dining room window onto beautiful scenery. Go for a little walk while the sun sets - go back to your house and get to bed. Wake up to the sound of the sea and the sight of the sun rising - have breakfast - decide where your next 'room with a view' will be and then set off. I swear it can't be beaten.

This is the same view as above from behind our 'dead canny' little camper van. Yes Ginny - very similar to our last one, even has Gordon the bucket!












This is the 'sunset walk' part of the day. A beer and a cider in our back garden!









This is perhaps the only photographic evidence that exists of Elvis doing some cooking - the smile was totally put on!









As an Englishman it is our duty to make sure the Oz breweries have got their act together. This is in the Ferguson Valley (more renowned for their wine making) in a micro brewery (Wild Bull brewery). I've already sampled the wheat beer, pale ale and the bitter and I am now working on the stout. Elvis was busy checking out the cider. Don't let anyone kid you that this backpacking malarkey is easy - there's still work to do.



People who know me well, will know that visiting a 'land of little folk' is not high on my 'must do' list. Anything to do with madgetry sends a shiver down my spine and a mystical smell of cabbage in my nostrils - but at least these ones aren't real!


This is Gnomesville, a kind of mecca for travellers around the world to come and 'plant a gnome'. Wait until you see the next picture though......










Look at this - any friends named Shirley out there? There we at least 60 identical gnomes put down by people named Shirley from around the world - there's even a website if you girls would like to check it out. Sorry Shirley's Sandersfield and Sorrell - we didn't have any time to get two for you, besides as my brother-in-law Bob once said to my Sister Ginny when she asked if he would buy her a little cuddly toy 'I'm not paying 10 dollars for that piece of sh*t'!





Back to the important things - This is Busselton and this particular picture is of the longest jetty in the Southern hemisphere (2km long - yes we walked it). We've noticed how, when the Australians describe such things they often say the biggest, best, longest etc...in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE - that's because that way it rules out America where everything is bigger, including womans ar*es!!




Further down the coast at Yallingup, watching the surfers riding the gigantic waves.
















This is a lovely sunset, this time from the LOUNGE window!

After all this beach work it was time to head off for some culture - so we went to have a look at a working sheep farm - but that's for another blog.
Well done with the answers to the cup of tea question. The dutch explorer thought he saw massive rats on the island and what is Dutch for Rat - Rott (I think I could speak Dutch if it's that easy!). I think everyone used Google, which is fine - but I get the feeling Derek and Margaret were speaking from the experience of being previous visitors to Rottnest. I think on that basis we'll award Derek and Margaret (yes - one each) the free cup of tea.
Ermmm by the way - we (that's Elvis and I) set the free cup of tea questions around here - but I'll play your little game just this once. The only town on the west coast that means anything to me would be Geraldton - why, well becuase this is what my Ma was going to call me before she sobered up and decided upon Keith - Do I win a free cup of tea?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you don't win a free cup of tea!!! The place I had in question was "Cape Farquhar" from which you named your nephew. I've gone and broken my vow of no longer trying to be first to reply to the blog (still whingeing from the tip off)...but it was worth it to swipe that cup of tea from you!

Great talking to you tonight! Enjoy your last few days in Oz and happy trails to Singapore on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you managed to get the 'smell of cabbage' quote in to a Blog! Still laughing.

I'm not sure what Shirley will have to say when she finds out she could have had her own gnome dedicated to her, buit I'm sure she'll 'comment' and let you know!

Anonymous said...

Did you press any weird buttons when you flew Dad's plane??? You best read the little tale below...

Last week Dad was flying to Tamworth (NSW) for a Country and Weston Music Festival, when he had a small problem. His fuel line broke, resulting in the majority of his petrol leeking onto the window of the cockpit. As it's raw fuel, the possibility of fire is huge, and coupled with the fact that he was very quickly running out of fuel, he had to make an emergency landing. So after calling may-day (spelling???) he landed the plane in some guys paddock, and watched as the Fire Brigade, police, ambulance, Search and Rescue and two helicopters came to him.

So now i ask you.... hows that childhood dream of flying a plane sitting for you at the moment??? I'm so glad nothing like that happened when we took you up, imagine the blog you would have had to write!!! You'll be glad to know, that the only damage was the fuel line (and Dad's wallet for having to fly a mechanic in to fix it). He's back home safe again now. And no doubt planning his next adventure.

Sounds like you've had a ball in SA, NT and WA.

Seeya

Justine.

Anonymous said...

Justine,

I have to assume no-one checked Keith's hand luggage when he left the plane. Did you manage to read the comment from his sister Jen on 12th January when she said the following?

"...He's known for having an enquiring mind as to how things connect and work. When he was a kid, he'd get stuff for Christmas and have it dismantled before lunchtime..."

I've no doubt that when he gets home to England, there'll be a small button sitting on his mantlepiece as a souvenir and if you look closely it'll read 'Fuel Line - do not remove'.

I rest my case.
Paul.

Anonymous said...

Bloody good stuff, Paul!! You've got it dead right...I couldn't have said it better myself. And by George, I gave them fair warning!

Anonymous said...

I've been on my namesake website and it puts you in contact with everything from 'Irish Dancing Costumes' to 'Debt Consolidation' and 'Insurance' to 'Mail Order Brides' - good all-rounder I'd say!!

Shirley
(Sandersfield) x

Elvis jnr, Parkybird n baby Elvis said...

Elvis doing the cooking? Bout time you got her sorted Hodge!!
Anyway sis, tis a lovely photo of you smilin (even if it is put on) however it does look very much like a smile me mother would do! Those of you in the know will know all about Mama Elves and her photographic smiles!!!