Wednesday 2 January 2008

Tasmania - Heading south west

This was the first day of a four day trip. This is me and Elvis at a place called Terraleah. There's a huge power station here which uses the water EIGHT times to create hydroelectricity ...then you eventually get to drink the water! Anyway - nice views eh! The next picture is the rugged landscape of the shanty town of Queenstown, nothing much grows here, it's a bit like moonscape. Years of mining has blitzed the landscape.












This is 'iron blow open cut', my family will look at this and think of a little place we used to visit as kids, we called it 'The Lagoon' (near Leyburn) but really it was very similar to this - a disused quarry. We were nasty kids then and used to throw stones at the ducks way down below, a game fondly referred to as 'Bombay Duck'.






































This is Hogarth Falls in Strahan, a lovely little walk with a treat at the end. My wife and I thought a formal pose would do very nicely thank you.


















Another boyhood dream came true in Strahan as we took a ride on a seaplane. Didn't get to fly that time but the ride was spectacular nonetheless! We actually landed in the Gordon River to take a walk into Aussie's largest temperate rain forest and visit 'Sir John Fall's - the landing was so smooth we hadn't realised we were on the water! When we landed the pilot then sped up and we blazed down the river in a kind of speed plane-boat kind of thing, I could have done a spot of water skiing.












You can see the salmon farms here - big business in Tasmania.



























The river water has so much tannin in it from tea trees that it looks like jet black marble. You can see the reflection in the water as we come down to land















Note the life jackets - just in case you end up in the drink!












5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't have time to read the blog or even look at the pictures, but at least I've got the comment in. :) Paul is getting too serious about this now!
Off to work.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sissy J.."Mackems"is a term now associated with Sunderland Footy Club and has come into popularity since the move from Roker Park to the Stadium of Light.The expression is apparently taken from the shipbuilding industry on the River Wear when Wearsiders would "mak them" (ships that is)obviously the term has been changed slightly.There are now Mackems and Geordies and never the twain shall meet

Anonymous said...

Well, blaw me ower!! Now I know what I am after all these years! People used to say I was a Geordie, (when I was at Notts Uni), and I would say that I absolutely wasn't! But I never had an answer for what I was instead, so I used to just say that I was from Sunderland.
Now, with an accent affected from 31 years of living in the US....I'm neither nowt nor summit!!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, Didge. Amazing the encounters you make WHILST bloggin! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to see that you still have bits of the Sunderland accent in your writing.People not from our neck of the woods always say we're Geordies,probably the same as we says southerners are all cockneys.ps just in case you wonder who I am ,I had the pleasure of being there to see Hodgie and Suzanne do the strictly come dancing bit at their wedding

Anonymous said...

Actually Didge Judge Nutmeg, I know more about you than you think. I was even told to behave myself WHILST in Sunderland or else I could end up facing you! (My informant is not Keith or Suzanne.)