Saturday 26 January 2008

On the road - the last leg!

Are you getting fed up of seeing me drinking beer yet (you can tell I'm not)? As I've said before, it's an Englishmans duty to check how the Ozzies are getting along practicing our craft! This place was in Albany, Tanglewood Brewery - the last stop of our trip. (The beers were really good by the way - a lot better than some I've had at home even).



I've mentioned the coastline before - it's so beautiful - massive rock structures in the ocean. This place is called 'Natural Bridge' in Frenchman's bay, you can see the bridge in the next picture. It's difficult to get a sense of scale in these pictures but you can't beat seeing it with your own eyes - it is truly awesome.


















These pictures are slightly out of time sequence (not that you would know that!) this place is called 'Elephant Rocks' - if you view them from a certain angle they look like a herd of elephants. The sunset that night was amazing - the colours were fantastic.
















This was the last view from the bedroom before it went dark.





















This picture (and the one above) is from a walk we did in the morning along the river at the Wilson Inlet in Denmark (which was actually before Albany but the pics are out of sync) then along a disused railway line - it was quite early in the morning and the light was really beautiful in the trees. There was also lots of birds and critters out - including this one in the next picture. There's nothing next to it to give it any scale, so I'll tell you it was approximately 5 feet long. It wasn't at all concerned by Elvis and I standing in front of it taking pictures - in fact, it looked so 'unbothered' I was beginning to think 'should we be concerned'. Anyway, we went our different ways without any drama as the Ozzies like to say!



We did have a different kind of drama the next day though! We were in Albany and had to have the van back in Perth the next day by 4pm at the latest - a distance of 600km. Well we got up early and set off the next day - stopped had breakfast, stopped again for coffee and cake and then realised that we were running out of time. So, like what often happens, the last part of the trip turned into a race. To cut a long story short, we made it by 10 minutes only, I was at the front of the office traumatised!












So the van went back and that was the end of our road trip around the Southern Curl - but we had a fantastic time and apart from reversing the van into a rock the size of a house (which I ridiculously claimed 'I couldn't see it') fortunately I was going so slow there was not even a scratch, there were no problems at all. I'm sure we will do this again someday. But for now, we had to prepare for Australia day in the best place to be on that day - Perth. Next blog of course!

Rosy Lee questions - I don't know why the Australians call us Poms - you were supposed to tell me that! The time I set fire to the forest and was making my escape (thanks for that reminder of my past Ginny) was 4:55pm - can you not see my watch? Looks like my impression of a gay Kangeroo hit the spot, and finally - yes you're right, the next few blogs will be 'catch-up' from Australia, because right now we're sitting in a cafe in Indonesia, Bali to be exact- having a great time but you'll all have to wait until we catch up before you see it! Thanks for all the comments - they had us laughing our heads off!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, just how I like to start my day...viewing studendous photos of gorgeous oceans!! I just have to be there!!

Three things....haven't I told you that when you come across creatures like that monstrous lizard, you must make Suzanne pose next to it so that we get a sense of size!!

Also, what do you think I have for eyes?? Even with a magnifying glass, there's no way I was making out 5 to 5!!! And don't be calling me Uncle Tommy!

And last, once again, are you really the only people around these places, and if so, why?

So, let's see...the reason you almost missed getting the van back is because you had to stop for cake? Aye, that'll be reet!

Anonymous said...

Erm...I believe the word should be stuPendous. Once a teacher, always a teacher!