Friday 9 May 2008

News flash - English Class in Vietnam

May 9th 2008
We thought we would get this blog on air as soon as possible! Suzanne and I have just come back from an English class for adult Vietnamese. We have had the most marvellous time and Gayle (I'll explain who this wonderful person is later) allowed us to get involved in the class. First off we'd like to say a big thank you to Gayle and all your fantastic English students for making us so welcome in your class and for giving us one of the best experiences of our visit to your wonderful country. Hopefully some of you have been able to access the blog and you'll be reading this - if you have any comments just click the blue comment at the bottom of this section and we will read your comments.

The first picture is Gayle teaching some rather difficult English - so difficult that Suzanne and I had difficulty following - but Gayle does a great job explaining, Suzanne and I were thinking we may enroll for class!! After that Suzanne and I stood at the front of class and we had turns each with the students giving random facts about our respective countries - then the real fun began - a question and answer session! We were asked all kinds of questions like - 'What do Scotsmen wear under their kilts' and 'Are we allowed to see the Queen's face', I (Keith) was asked "Do I find Vietnamese woman attractive" - not easy to answer when your wife is standing next to you!! (The answer is yes of course - how could you not?).



This is the class at the end of the lesson - we hope you students had as good a time as we did. It was very interesting for us to hear your facts about Vietnam. Just look at this picture, have you ever seen such happy students anywhere else in the world?


This is Gayle (the American English teacher) with the real English speakers!!





Earlier that day Gayle and her lovely friend took us out to lunch and we were treated to some fantastic Vietnamese cuisine. But before all of that the day started at 9am in Gayle's study when we linked up with my Sister Jen on the computer and talked over the net for an hour - we could even see each other which was a real treat, not so much for me because it was 11pm in the USA by the time we finished and the sister was 'sinking' fast!!

We met Gayle through my sister Jen. Gayle is from Pennsylvania too and she and Jen taught the same grade kids together and became good friends. 13 years ago Gayle moved to Vietnam and now she teaches what we call 'adult education' classes on evenings.

What a wonderful day! We wish all the students "good luck" with your English studies - it was an absolute pleasure to spend time with you beautiful people. Gayle, "thank you" for looking after us for the day and giving us some great memories to take home - keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll see you again maybe in Pennsylvania and remember you're always welcome to visit us in England if you ever get the travel bug (that's bug Gayle not BOOK!!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

another great blog u 2 ,you can see by your photos,in your best bib and tucker.how much you both enjoyed the time.well done gayle and good luck to all her students .suzannes mam.

Anonymous said...

another great blog u 2 ,you can see by your photos,in your best bib and tucker.how much you both enjoyed the time.well done gayle and good luck to all her students .suzannes mam.

Anonymous said...

What a treat for me to see VIP's from my life all in the same place! It was sooooo great to webcam with you and so weird to see two very different components of my life come together half a world away. Now you know why I've told you so many times why I envy Gayle. Western teachers have to work so hard at getting kids to want to learn and value education. We spend too much of our time motivating and disciplining. Gayle turns up and every eye is on her, every face is smiling and receptive to any word that comes out of her mouth. Man, what that would be like! Very envious that you could be a part of her life for just one day. She is a very, very special person and utterly utterly devoted to those lucky people. Just one day in her presence can make you rethink everything. So glad your paths met. As for Paul, I mean Snitch, I'll teach you something about IT when I see you this summer!

Anonymous said...

Just viewed your photo's and read bits of your blog. It brought back lots of memories. It is excellent reading and captures the amazing experience really well. Nuala

Anonymous said...

No doubt Gayle had to start all over again with her students after having two 'mackems' visit. Did they understand "Howay man it's yooer round!"

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Gayle's student, I'm the one who said in Vietnam men never wore kilts hee...hee...

I just want to say thank you, Keith and Suzanne, for being our guests, we all had a good time with you. And thank you Gayle for hooking us up.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am a student at Gayle class. Thank you for your joining with our class. It is a wonderful chance for me to understand you and your country. Thank you, Galge, for all things you do for us.
Your journey is so interesting. I hope to have to chance to meet you in the future. Thank you and have a good trip. Vu Hoang Thao, Vietnam.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to see Gayle's students posting on the blog! I've been checking as often as I can, so imagine my surprise when I saw two today...from an anonymous "kilt" person and Vu Hoang Thao. Keith and Suzanne really enjoyed meeting you all and I know that they are going to be really excited to see a message from you. Isn't it such a small world after all?