Monday 22 October 2007

Kaikoura (further down the East coast)

This is the drive from the wine regions (Blenheim) further down the East coast to Kaikoura, there's beautiful mountain ranges all the way down - they look good now but wait until you see them at sunrise (6:30am) - see below!












This is Kaikoura bay, there's a seal colony further around the bay and a hike that leads all the way around the peninsula over the cliff tops - again very scenic.
A beautiful sunny day - but the wind was up and very cool with it. Luckily there was a lady in her van selling the food of the Gods - so that's me eating the green lip mussels - AGAIN! (Suzanne kept herself busy doing an inspection of the mobile vehicle - you can take the girl out of the Health Office - but you can't take the health officer out of the girl!!






One of the coves on the way around the peninsula





























The same mountains and coves as seen first thing in the morning. They really were even more beautiful than the pictures -sometimes you do get rewarded for getting out of the nest early!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pon my word!!! Either you're in the most scenic place in the world, or you've been saving some postcards for fake blog postings!!! I would give anything to be in that stuff! Simply gorgeous!

sissy Jen

Anonymous said...

Sissy Jen,

First of all, I hope you're a good distance from California at the moment?

Secondly, have you managed to set up the blog so that as soon as it's updated, the smoke alarm goes off or something? You must be the fastest blogger-replier I've ever seen! And before Hodge asks, I've checked and 'blogger-replier' is a perfectly usable Scrabble word worth 817 points.

I must have been listening properly (not something I usually do when Keith starts...) and got the answer to the Abel Tasman question right. How about we all head over and meet them to claim our free cup of tea?

Paul.

P.S. Hodge - I've just heard you apparently 'perform' a good dance to the song "Donald where's yer troosers". Can you guess who I've been speaking to? I'll buy my own cup of tea when I get there if you can guess correctly.

Anonymous said...

Hya Billies

When Paul picked me up tonight, he told me the blog had been updated, but to my absolute overjoyment, not only 1 but 5 whole bloggin pages!! - tremendous!! :-)

Your drunken pictures had me belly laffing!! And those last few shots of the sunrise are just amazing.

Can I come over for a cup of tea too please?

Love ya's
Shirley xxxx

Anonymous said...

Well Paul,
How about we bypass Keith and use his blog to correspond with each other?
I did want to write to you anyway about our mutual awareness of my brother's fondness of pretending to partake of activities such as ski-ing and white water rafting. The only stuff I believe on this blog anymore is the partaking of wine and cakes!! To be honest Paul, would you go round the house and check if they aren't still there, enjoying a year off work and fabricating this whole deal!!
Also, do not fall for the cup of tea deal...been there, done that (more than once), got nowt each time!
I am a long way from California, but our daughter lives in San Diego. If you want to know her luck, she was also a few streets away from the World Trade Center on 9/11. You don't want to be walking next to her when you say to yourself, "I'm not superstitious...watch me walk under this ladder."

Enjoyed our chat, Paul

Keith and Suzanne, you say? Who are they, again? :)

sissy J

Anonymous said...

my goodness what lovely shots, now that i finally have a computer again, i'm back to visiting the blog. if i would have seen these scenes earlier, i might have hopped a plane this week, seen as these blasted fires have me out of school and work, but stuck in the house. i can just taste those green lipped mussels. yummmm!!!
i'm madly jealous as i sit here in smoky san diego :)
niece rare